The Substance Abuse Prevention Services (SAPS) grant serves the Schaumburg, Hoffman Estates, and Palatine area by providing evidence-based prevention services to reduce the alcohol rates and the non-medical use of prescription drugs amongst 7th-12th graders in the service area.
The goal of the SAPS grant is to provide evidence-based prevention services to 12-18-year-olds in the Schaumburg, Hoffman Estates, and Palatine communities.
Direct services include:
- Implementing two statewide communication campaigns addressing underage drinking prevention and raising public awareness of safe use, safe storage, and safe disposal of prescription drugs to prevent opioid misuse (Guard and Discard).
- Recruiting schools to participate in the 2018 Illinois Youth Survey (IYS),
- Supporting the District 211 Youth Advisory Council (YAC)
- Conducting two activities that focus on alcohol and opioid misuse prevention during SAMHSA’s National Prevention Week,
- Raising awareness on local drug take-back programs by promoting the DEA’s Drug Take Back Day);
- Developing a resource guide, approved by YAC members (access it here)
For more information, please contact Marian Lopez, Project Lead at firstname.lastname@example.org.