The Elk Grove Township SAPS grant initiative is to provide evidence-based prevention services to 8th-12th graders in the service area. Direct services include; (1) implementation of Too Good for Drugs at CCSD59 Jr high schools, (2) implementation of 2 statewide media campaigns, (3) support to schools in the administration of the IYS, (4) raise awareness on local Drug Take Back programs, (5) develop a resource guide, (6) conduct two activities during SAMHSA’s National Prevention Week and (7) create a Youth Advisory Club and work with members on our prevention services.
For more information on the SAPS grant initiatives, contact: Nicole Barrett, Project Lead- firstname.lastname@example.org or Krupa Patel, SAPS Project Associate (Hablo Español! I speak Gujarati!) – email@example.com
The Substance Abuse Prevention Services grant initiative is to provide evidence-based prevention services to 11-18 year olds in the Elk Grove Township community. Direct services include:
- Implementing the Too Good for Drugs curriculum to 6th and 7th graders in CCSD59 Jr High Schools (Grove, Friendship and Holmes),
- Implementing 2 statewide communication campaigns;
- Addressing underage drinking prevention
- Guard and Discard – raising public awareness of safe use, safe storage, and safe disposal of prescription drugs to prevent opioid misuse,
- Recruiting schools to participate in the 2018 Illinois Youth Survey (IYS),
- Creating a Youth Advisory Council (YAC) at Elk Grove High School,
- Conducting two activities that focus on alcohol and opioid misuse prevention during SAMHSA’s National Prevention Week, and;
- Raising awareness on local drug take-back programs. (DEA’s Drug Take Back Day)
- Developing a resource guide, approved by YAC members (click here)
What is the Elk Grove Township Subcommittee Working on?
The subcommittee began meeting in September 2016. Since then, subcommittee members have completed a community scan by building capacity, reviewing local Elk Grove Township data* (as it relates to youth substance and alcohol use), ensuring community readiness, and examining potential threats to prevention services. Currently, the subcommittee will be continuing to build capacity as well as focusing its efforts on planning for the National Prevention Week activities and distributing campaign material for Guard and Discard.
*Note: Local relevant data includes; Elk Grove Village local ordinances specific to underage alcohol use, Elk Grove High School’s 2016 IYS data and discipline data, police department data, Elk Grove high school and CCSD59 Jr high schools- Illinois report card data (demographics, free and reduced lunch rates, etc.).
Elk Grove High School Youth Advisory Council
Mission Statement: We the students of Elk Grove High School YAC create a connection between the students and the Elk Grove Township community to promote healthy behaviors.
The Youth Advisory Council (YAC) is a club at Elk Grove High School, comprised of students working towards the common interest of staying drug and alcohol free. The YAC is youth led, adult supported. Members of the YAC help SAPS staff in the planning and implementation of prevention services such as the resource guide, the two activities during SAMHSA’s National Prevention Week, and the DEA’s Drug Take Back promotional efforts.
YAC meetings are after school from 3:15-4:15pm, on the last Thursday of every month. Students interested in joining the YAC can find more information here.